Welcome to the Demo Group! The point of this group is to have a publicly available area for any members to see how groups operate.
This area is called the "Mission Statement". This is where the group leader will describe the purpose or goals of each group to it's members. This can be changed at any time by the group leader, and also functions as a great way for a group leader to make important announcements.
If you are interested in starting a group, please do the following
- Go here
- Enter the group name
- Enter the group description, which should be short. It will appear on the Group Listing Page
- Enter the mission statement. This is the light blue area at the top of the group homepage. You can edit this later.
- Choose how you want members to be able to join.
- Once you submit your group, you will have access to it. However, it will not immediately display on the Group Listing Page. Each group will require Admin approval to verify it doesn't violate posting guidlines. If this process takes longer than 24 hours, please contact Kirk
The point of a group is to have members discussing a common topic or theme. All of the Group's members are monitored by it's Manager.
When a user finds a group they are interested in joining, they will simply click the Join link. If a group requires members to be approved, the Group Manager will review the user and either approve or deny them membership to the group. Since group's are not maintained by the site admin, it is suggested the Manager take serious consideration before denying a member.
A Manager can manage the groups users by clicking the "Subscribers" link in each group's toolbox. There are 2 views on this page. read more »
Members in a group have the ability to create varius topics. Each of the topic types are slighty different and and are described below.
- Group Page This topic type allows the member to create a simple page. This can include text, images or links.
- Blog Entry This topic type functions like the group page type, but with the added function of displaying on the member's blog home page.
- Poll This topic type allows the member to create a poll, which other group members can vote on.
When creating a content type, the member will have several things to complete. read more »
Each group leader has the ability to create group cateories.
"Categories" are essentially tags or filters that can be used to more easily find related content within a group. The terms used within each category are they able to be selected by a member when they create a new topic. This as ends up essentially creating navigation within a group. And example of how Categories and terms are laid out is below. The example is for a "Film Makers" group.
- Film Making Functions (category)
- Directing (term)
- Photography (term)
- Writing (term)
- Acting (term)
In theory, this allows each group to essentially create it's own mini-website. Additionally, groups can have more than one category and each topic can apply to more than one category. For instance, the "Film Makers" group might also have the following additional categories. read more »