General Tech Questions (For Your Health!)
so I guess here's where you ask all your dumb tech/computer related questions like "How do I take down my firewall?" or "What exactly IS a firewall?" or "So where's all this wonderfull 'internet porn' I've been hearing about?"
first off, a question from me: What is slowing my computer down? What programs can i do without? How do I free up space on my harddrive? all these questions go under one big umbrella question, How do I make my computer perform better?
to start off here my basic computer information:
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Version 2002
- Service Pack 2
- Manufactured and supported by Compaq Presario
- Celeron(R) CPU
- 2.53 GHZ
- 248 MB of RAM
I dont know shit about computers so I dont know what any of that really means other then my computers NOT a Mac and It's from 2002 or something. and 248 MB's of RAM doesnt sound like too much and uninstalling a bunch of stuff probrably won't help that but Im still going to blah blah blah do it and blah blah blah banana spong.
now for the list of programs I can uninstall (Ive already tried to uninstall Windows Live Messenger but apparently you can't, it's permanent like an ugly tattoo). there are a few things I omitted, namely things I use like utorrent and Limewire. this list is just things I either DON'T use or don't know what they do. also, keep in mind that I mainly use my computer for surfing the web and looking at porn and doing the occasional piece of homework (I also use it to connect to XBOX LIVE)
- Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
- Adobe Reader 6.0.1.
- Adobe Shockwave Player
- Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
- Compaq Instant Support
- High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
- Intel(R) Exteme Grapjics Driver
- Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_03
- Java(TM) 6 Update 5
- Java(TM) 6 Update 7
- Liveupdate 2.1 (Symantec Corporation)
- Liveupdate Notice (Symantec Corporation)
- Media Coverter for Phillips (something to do with my MP3 player)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
- Microsoft Compression CLient Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
- Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
- Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistribution Package 1.1
- Microsoft Works 7.0
- Norton Antivirus
- Norton Antivirus (Symantec Corporation)
- PC-Docotr for Windows
- Python 2.2 combined Win32 extensions
- Python 2.2.1.
- Windows Installer 3.1
- Windows Internet Explorer 7
- Windows Media Format 11 runtime
- Windows Media Player 11
- Windows XP Service Pack 2
so tell me, what could I do without? and is there anything that could be updated thus making whatever version I have obsolete and this uninstallable? If you need any other information just ask.
also, Im not looking to spend any money here. Im broke.
and If my only solution is to buy another computer then just say it.